Personally I prefer using RSS readers which come in the form of client applications rather than online services. My favorite for many years was Omea Reader but unfortunately ever since JetBrains stopped working on it and made it open source, the product development is simply stuck. Combined with a few annoying bugs, I am gradually pushed towards looking for a replacement.
I haven’t settled on anything yet but lately I decided to give RSS Bandit another try. So, while working with it I thought it would be nice to add a “Share on Friendfeed” functionality. RSS Bandit supports the IBlogExtension plugin interface, and following Dare Obasanjo’s del.icio.us sample made it very easy to develop a Friendfeed plugin.
The IBlogExtension framework is supported by other RSS aggregators so this plugin may work with other applications but I only tested it with RSS Bandit. Let me know if you successfully use it with other apps.
Download and Installation
Share on Friendfeed Plugin (12Kb)
1. Download and unzip the plugin to RSS Bandit’s plugins directory. The default path is C:\Program Files\RssBandit\plugins .
2. Restart RSS Bandit.
1. Right click any RSS feed item and then click “Share on Friendfeed – Configure”.
2. Enter your Friendfeed username and remote key (you can get it here).
3. Check the “Display confirmation” checkbox if you want to see a notification dialog after posting to Friendfeed.
Sharing Items on FriendFeed
1. Right click the feed item you want to share and then click “Share on Friendfeed”.
2. You can edit the URL and title (both are populated automatically from the feed item) and add your comment, before hitting the Post button.
3. If you checked the confirmation box in the configuration dialog, you’ll receive a confirmation message with a link to your newly posted entry.
This is the very first version of the plugin. It is provided “as is” and under the “works on my machine” terms and conditions. I tested the plugin with RSS Bandit version 126.96.36.1990 under Windows XP SP2.
Feel free to comment below or contact me with any feedback.